Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Christmas in July

What was I thinking? So I recently agreed to accept donated wedding gowns and turn them into gowns and other items for preemies. The last time I attempted to sew anything was about 20 years ago, sewing a pillow on my grandmothers sewing machine. I have been wanting to learn to sew for a couple years and my wonderful hubby bought me a nice sewing machine for Christmas 2007. I have taken it out of the box and used it a couple times to make little skirt linings for my crocheted burial gowns. But nothing like making clothing for people to wear. Another volunteer in Virginia had a couple gowns she wanted to get rid of, so I offered to take them off her hands. For two weeks now I have been worried sick that I would receive some off the wall, antique, weird colored or lacy wedding gown that I would have no idea what to do with. I have seen pictures of some of the gowns people donate, while I'm sure they thought they were beautiful and they may hold sentimental value, what were they thinking? Did they actually wear that in public?

So yesterday, my long awaited package arrives. Like a child at Christmas I wanted to tear into the box, but fear and the darn packing tape prevented me from doing so. After stealing my husbands pocket knife, trying to figure out how to open the thing, and sawing for about 30 minutes, the box opens. Part of my fears came true. The first dress is about 10 years old, has poofy shoulders and long lacy sleeves. The whole back is see-thru lace with a giant bow on the butt. The satin fabric is beautiful but the lace is going to be a challenge. The second gown is a breathtaking ivory strapless gown with silver and gold beading. It has a long train and about 100 buttons down the back. I hung the dresses up in my living room, as I had to fill out paperwork to submit to my charity organization. As I sat there filling out the forms and taking pictures, my husband sleepily walks into the living room from his nap. He looks back and forth from the gowns to me, then with a puzzled look asks "Did I miss something? Are you getting married again?" I laughed and continued with my work.

Although beautiful, I am now too nervous to even think about cutting up and dismantling these gowns. I just have to keep reminding myself that this beautiful gown will bless many families who would otherwise have no clothing to fit their tiny angel. More importantly I think of the parents who will never see their daughters walk down the isle to get married, but may have some comfort in seeing their angel wear their own tiny gown made from a wedding dress. Thanks to all the women who choose to let go of something so sentimental so that comfort may be brought to the angels and their families. God Bless you!

No comments: